Apple has finally unveiled its much awaited Apple Watch at the Spring Forward event in San Francisco on March 9, 2015, which also marked Apple’s first foray in wearable technology. Apple Wearable will be available to buy soon in nine countries, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, the UK and the US. The Apple wearable will be available in three collections, Apple Watch Sport, Apple Watch and Apple Watch Edition in two different sizes, one is 38 mm and the other is 42 mm, making a total of about 35 variants. Read on to find more information on specifications, shipping date and pricing details.
The battery of the wearable is claimed to survive up to 18 hours and supports Apple’s MagSafe technology with inductive charging. The wearable comes with plethora of innovative features and enables the user to perform various tasks, right from sending a message or answering a call on iPhone through wrist to boarding a plane with a Passbook.
“Apple Watch begins a new chapter in the way we relate to technology and we think our customers are going to love it. We can’t wait for people to start wearing Apple Watch to easily access information that matters, to interact with the world, and to live a better day by being more aware of their daily activity than ever before,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO.
Key Features of Apple Watch
- Apple Watch Sport packs anodized aluminum case in silver and space gray with a Retina display (with Ion-X glass) and comes with Sport Band in five colors.
- The Apple Watch comes with stainless steel and space black stainless steel cases, Retina display (with sapphire crystal) and three leather straps to choose from- stainless steel link bracelet and Milanese loop, and a black or white Sport Band.
- The Apple Watch Edition is the high-end model which features 18-karat gold alloys, Retina display (with sapphire crystal) and several designed straps to choose from.
For using the Apple wearable, user will need an Apple iPhone since the Watch is compatible with iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus with iOS 8.2. or later running on them which is now available to download.
“Conceived, designed and developed as a singular product, Apple Watch merges hardware and software like never before. In Apple Watch, we’ve created three beautifully curated collections with a software architecture that together enable unparalleled personalization in a wearable device,” said Jony Ive, Apple’s senior vice president of Design.
Price and Availability
Pre-orders and preview will begin from April 10, 2015. The Apple wearable will be available for sale starting April 24, 2015 in three collections. The prices are as follows:
- The price of Sport model starts at $349 and ranges up to $399 depending on band.
- Apple Watch is priced at $549 and goes up to $1,099 depending on band.
- Apple Watch Edition with 18-karat gold alloys starts at $10,000.